Now that medicine is developing so quickly, medications come in all possible forms and dosages. Whenever we face a health problem, we try to figure out what capsules, tablets, or drops we should take to ease the symptoms. Spinach, turmeric, garlic, and bananas — these products are associated with cooking. However, in many cases, their unique properties make them work just as good as conventional medications.
Here at Bright Side, we want to tell you about the health benefits of some common foods you probably have never heard about.
- This common spice is a good natural antioxidant that protects eye health by fighting free radicals. The curcumin found in turmeric proved itself effective in preventing clouding of the vision and delaying the onset of cataracts. It also protects the eyes against toxins that cause cataracts and prevents the complications people can have after cataract surgery.
- Studies have shown that curcumin might help reduce symptoms of depression thanks to its antioxidant properties. While the antidepressant effects of turmeric are still being studied, it has been proved that it can influence the mechanisms that cause the development of depression. In particular, curcumin can restore serotonin and dopamine which eventually leads to mood improvement.
- According to trials, a number of molecules involved in inflammation are successfully inhibited by the curcumin found in turmeric. This anti-inflammatory property makes turmeric effective in relieving pain and swelling, in particular, in patients with arthritis. However, it implies taking turmeric in dosages exceeding the dosage of a spice, so if you plan to use turmeric for medical purposes, consult your doctor first.
- Banana peel is one of the home remedies you can try to lighten bruised skin and make the bruise heal faster. Apply the peel skin side up on the affected area overnight. Repeat the procedure if necessary.
- Bananas are rich in potassium, vitamin C, and B6, which makes them highly beneficial for heart health. High potassium intake reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases and strokes.
- Bananas will provide good support for your digestive system in case of diarrhea. This fruit will restore the necessary quantity of fiber, potassium, and other elements that are lost during diarrhea and will improve your digestion.
- Bananas will also help you to remove dryness and itching of the scalp. It will nourish and moisturize the skin by removing flakes and inflammation. Apply mashed banana to your scalp as a DIY nourishing mask.
- Thanks to its high content of potassium, magnesium, and other minerals, spinach is recommended for stabilizing blood pressure. Studies have shown that a diet rich in spinach may decrease arterial stiffness and help maintain good cardiovascular health.
- The vitamin K that is found in spinach is extremely important when it comes to preventing bone fractures. Vitamin K improves bone health and ensures better calcium absorption.
- Spinach also contains vitamin A in large quantities, which makes it a good product for your skin, hair, and overall beauty. Vitamin A controls the production of oil in the skin pores and hair follicles, preventing extra oil build up. Spinach is also rich in vitamin C which is crucial for building collagen that provides structure to hair and skin.
- The essential oils found in dill are perfect sedatives and pacifiers which make dill a good insomnia remedy. The flavonoids and vitamin B found in dill maintain production of certain enzymes and hormones that ensure good sleep.
- What is more, dill is a well-known carminative that forces the excessive gas down through the digestive tract and allows it to safely leave the body.
- Dill seeds and leaves can be used as natural mouth fresheners. The essential oils that dill contains have good antimicrobial and germicidal properties that can prevent microbial infections in the mouth cavity.
- Several studies have demonstrated the potential anti-inflammatory properties of pomegranate that are explained by the high contents of antioxidants in this fruit.
- Other studies have shown the potential of daily intake of pomegranate juice for 2 weeks to lower blood pressure in the patients with hypertension. Regular intake of pomegranate juice is also considered to be helpful for improving blood flow in patients with coronary heart disease.
- Thanks to the vitamins and minerals that pomegranates contain, the intake of these fruits is capable of increasing hemoglobin concentration and red blood cells count.
- Beetroot is rich in iron, an essential compound of hemoglobin which is crucial for the growth, development, and functioning of cells.
- Beetroot also contains a whole range of vitamins and elements important for our health, including vitamin A, vitamin C, folate, manganese, thiamine, riboflavin, vitamin B6, magnesium, potassium, and many others.
- Beetroot is a good source of fiber that improves digestive health. Introducing beetroot to your diet can prevent constipation and other digestive conditions.
7. Dark chocolate
- The cocoa powder that is found in large amounts in dark chocolate has proved itself effective in decreasing the amount of “bad” cholesterol that can damage arteries lining.
- Studies have shown that dark chocolate intake improves the blood flow to the brain, significantly improving brain function.
- Regular intake of garlic (both raw and cooked) can be a good preventive measure against the common cold. Studies have shown that it is capable of reducing the frequency of this ailment in adults thanks to its antiviral and antibacterial properties.
- Studies have shown that garlic can reduce the risk of heart diseases by lowering blood pressure and reducing the amount of cholesterol in the body.
The tips we have just shared with you have proven themselves effective for many people. Remember, however, that they do not substitute professional medical care. If your symptoms don’t seem to subside, visit your doctor and get professional medical assistance. If you want to try any of these products as a remedy, you should also take care of the dosage and check the compatibility of these foods with the medications you are taking.